Tuesday 30 July 2013

Free speech tennis

I'm a liberal. I think people should be able to say what is on their mind, in person and online

I'm a liberal. I think that people deserve realistic opportunity to be able to easily avoid hearing things that will harm them, in a self-defining sense


I'm a liberal. I don't think the way to make sure people's feelings get hurt is to stop them from speaking, but to enable people to stop listening

I'm a liberal. I expect people that circumnavigate or otherwise break through people's attempts to ignore or avoid things they don't want to be subjected to to be held accountable


I'm a liberal. I think any punishment for actions of abusive communications needs to be weighed not against the hurt or offense caused to the victim, but the persistence and intent of the perpetrator

I'm a liberal. I expect people that appear to be waging these psychological campaigns to be properly investigated to determine just how much of a threat they are


I'm a liberal. I don't want to mistake the written or spoken word for actual threat, and thus don't want authorities to lazily charge or prosecute someone who is of no actual danger to anything other than polite discourse.

I'm a liberal. I want a straight forward way for making the relevant authorities aware of abuse that is received by someone


I'm a liberal. I don't want the act of "reporting" someone to the authorities to be boiled down to a statement of "I don't like this person"

I'm a liberal. I want people's views to be respected


I'm a liberal. I understand some people don't want to hear some other people's views

I'm a liberal. I think people should be able to say what is on their mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say about my post? I'd love to hear it!

Try to keep it civil, I don't delete comments unless obliged to or feel the thread is getting too out of hand, so don't make me do it.